June is the month with the longest daylight hours in the Northern Hemisphere, so it’s the time of year when we feel we have more time to be outside and enjoy the weather. In some states, June brings summer storms and flooding, so it’s a good idea to invest time in preparing your home for this potential danger. June can be a great month to start entertaining outdoors and spending time in the yard. Below we’ve gathered some great projects to complete this month.
- keep your raised beds and container gardens moist
- deadhead spring blooms
- weed garden beds
- plant sun-loving herb seeds like basil, chives, thyme, and sage
- plant edibles like pumpkins, melons, beets, carrots, beans, and summer/winter squashes
- can’t get to these projects yourself? Look for a landscaper or gardener on Porch.
- check smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors
- service air conditioning unit (schedule an HVAC professional)
- swap out seasonal clothes and bedding
- turn over mattresses
- organize garage for summer activities
- pressure wash the patio and clean off outdoor furniture (hire a professional power washing company)
Tip of the Month
Create a summer car emergency kit! Fill a container or box with bug spray, bug bite relief, sunblock, hats, and an umbrella. Keep an extra gallon of water to make sure everyone stays hydrated while on the road. Read our tips here to help get you started.