Ever since the pandemic arrived, more people than ever have been interested in doing their workouts and exercises at home. If you’re interested in designing a gym for home training, it’s a great way to save you a ton of valuable time and money. Creating your own boxing gym and training station is an excellent way to get in a workout whenever you need to without ever leaving your home. You also won’t have to spend extra cash on a gym membership or travel long distances to get some exercise. Read on to learn some helpful tips to show you how to build an awesome home training station right at home.
Where to Set up Your Home Training Station
Before you get to work on your new home gym, it’s important to decide which area you want to use. Here are some tips to help you choose the right space for your boxing gear and equipment.
- The garage: A garage is an ideal space for your home boxing gym since it’s separated from the rest of the home. Not only will you have plenty of room and privacy in your garage gym, but the garage doesn’t require the same amount of maintenance as a main room inside the house will.
- A spare room: If you have an extra bedroom or an unused space in the basement, these are also great areas where you can do some training. Just make sure that the room Is large enough for your boxing gear and equipment and that you can install some gym flooring to get the most use out of the space.
- Outside: For those who live in an area with great weather year-round, the outdoors is an excellent option for a home training station. It’s important to note that you’ll need to be able to move and store your equipment to protect it from the elements when it’s not in use. If you don’t want to bring your equipment outside, you can still set up an awesome obstacle course or install some pull-up bars so you can train outside when the weather cooperates.
Gym Flooring Options: Pros and Cons
Finding the right gym flooring is key to a successful workout and a productive DIY training spot. Here are some suggestions for gym flooring and some pros and cons of each.
- This type of flooring is very durable, but it’s also quite labor-intensive and challenging to install.
- Hardwood flooring is prone to dents, nicks, and scratches, which means maintenance is difficult. It’s also more expensive than many other options.
- This flooring looks nice and adds a professional look to your home gym.
- Carpet is very easy to maintain and keep clean, but it does need regular vacuuming.
- This flooring is affordable and doesn’t cost a lot to have installed.
- While carpeting is comfortable and soft, it’s also not the best option if you’re looking for a durable floor for workouts.
- Foam flooring is extremely easy to install DIY with simple tiles that “lock” together like a puzzle. This material also comes in rolls that you can cut to fit the size of the room.
- Choose a high-density EVA foam for your training station for the best results.
- Foam is extremely easy to clean, and most spills or marks can be wiped clean with a soft rag and some soap and water.
- There are different thickness options available for foam floors depending on your specific needs and preference. Install thicker foam flooring if your gym is on an upper level or if you’re using a lot of gym equipment.
- Rubber flooring is similar to foam and comes in rolls, mats, and interlocking tiles for easy DIY installation.
- Just like foam, this material is extremely easy to keep clean, making it an ideal choice for a home training station or gym.
- There are different thickness options for rubber floors, so be sure to choose the correct thickness level based on the intensity of your workouts. Thicker floors are best for home gyms that have heavy-duty equipment.
The Benefits of Exercising and Boxing at Home
There are many excellent benefits of home training and boxing at home. Here are just some of the ways that working out at home can benefit you.
Improves Heart Health
- Working out regularly can help keep your blood pressure levels at a healthy number.
- Frequent, regular exercise may decrease your stress and improve your mental well-being.
- Another health benefit to working out is weight loss. As you gain muscle, your body burns fat, resulting in a loss of extra pounds.
Boost Your Body Strength
- As you get stronger, you’ll also notice an improvement in flexibility and less frequent joint pain.
- Working out and lifting weights can help with balance.
- A strong body supports better posture, reducing the chances of injury or neck, back, and shoulder pain from sitting or standing for long periods of time.
- As you work out every day, you’ll notice that everyday movement is easier.
Availability Isn’t An Issue
- When you have your own home training station, you won’t have to worry about using a car, bus, or other forms of transportation to get your workouts in.
- Working out at home ensures that you don’t waste time. This gives you more time to dedicate to exercising rather than going to and from the gym.
- You won’t have to pay money for a gym membership or need to worry about the availability of your favorite equipment when you get there.
The Environment is Always Comfortable
- You can listen to your favorite music in your home gym, whether it’s through headphones or a stereo system.
- Designing your own home training station means you can enjoy your favorite décor, colors, and style.
- Enjoy the benefit of choosing your favorite temperature as you work out rather than whatever the gym has it set to. This ensures a much more comfortable workout session for you.
- Feel free to participate in your favorite activities in your home gym or develop a customized routine that works for your goals.
- Having a home gym means you can avoid paying monthly or annual membership fees just to work out.
- There’s no need to pay for parking or gas if you exercise at home.
- Once you get all of your boxing gear and equipment, you won’t need to pay for extra items like a duffel bag to hold your stuff or any other fitness gear you’d need if you had to go to the gym.
DIY Gear and Equipment
With these easy tips, it’s easy to make your own DIY boxing gear and equipment. You can also hire a skilled contractor if you need help setting up your gym or installing equipment.
- Plyometric exercises can improve strength and speed and improve your techniques. These exercises can also help to boost your metabolism and burn calories more efficiently.
- You can make your own DIY wood box to perform these exercises at home. You need some plywood, a saw, wood glue, and some screws.
- Training with sandbags is a great way to practice your boxing and strength training skills.
- Use a duffel bag with sturdy straps and fill durable plastic bags with rice or sand.
- Fill the duffel bag with your plastic bags full of rice or sand, then secure everything with duct tape. You can use the bags for weightlifting at home and add more or take some away to create a custom workout based on your specific goals or strength training needs.
Giant Tractor Tires
- Place some large tractor tires in your backyard to use for training.
- You can use the tires to strengthen your arm muscles by lifting them and flipping them over.
- Add tractor tires to the yard to create a fun obstacle course.
- Parallettes are an easy and inexpensive way to do calisthenics with very high resistance.
- Use 1.5-inch PVC pipes to create your own parallette design for your training station.
- You can also use a single stair step to perform parallette exercises to improve your strength and heart health.
Resistance bands are extremely portable, and you can take them anywhere. They are lightweight and can be easily stored in your backpack, purse, or suitcase. You can perform over 50 exercises using resistance bands to train almost any muscle in your body.
It’s easy to create your own training station at home with these easy tips. Having your own place to train and work out will save you quite a lot of time and money. It also encourages you to maintain your workouts and adopt an effective exercise routine that works for you without ever having to leave your own home.