Home is where the heart is, and that’s why it’s so important to make sure that your space feels warm, cozy, and inviting so that it’s your favorite spot. Whether you’ve lived in the same home for many years or you’re planning to move into a new place, it’s easy to create a cozy space at home with some simple design changes. From incorporating wood to adding textures, read on to discover some easy ways you can create cozy spaces in your own home. Once you make the change, you’ll find that home is without a doubt your favorite place to be.
Why you need cozy spaces at home
When you spend time at home, it’s very important to feel safe and relaxed. You need to have cozy spaces at home to enjoy things like cuddling and relaxing, or simply to take part in some me-time and self-care. When your home is warm and cozy, you’ll also want to spend more of your time there, too. Even a comfy, cozy nook can encourage you to do things like write or journal, do some sketching or painting, or simply enjoy a delicious cup of hot coffee or tea. The cozier your home looks and feels, the more inviting it will be.
Steps to creating a cozy home
Here are some easy ways you can create a cozy home and design a space where you’ll love to spend your time.
- Blend the old and new: Adding vintage or antique furniture to your home will instantly make it feel cozier. Feel free to mix and match your furniture and décor by blending old and new pieces together. The combination of items from different eras gives your home a laid-back, relaxing vibe. It’s also a great way to add visual interest to your home and to make it more unique.
- Incorporate wood: Rich, natural wood adds warmth to any room. If you currently don’t have much wood in your home, now is the time to consider bringing in more furniture made of this natural material. Wood creates depth and warmth that you can’t get from other materials like glass or metal. Whether you add wood panels to a room or simply bring in new furniture constructed of solid wood, this is one way to give your living room or dining room a touch of texture and coziness.
- Use warm metals: You might think of metals as cold, but they can also add a warm element to your home. Instead of using cool metals like chrome or silver, stick to warm metals featuring rich finishes of brass, copper, or gold. These deeper tones will give your home a touch of warmth and add a modern look to any space. Incorporate these metals in your lighting, decoration, or furniture to add a cozy touch.
- Paint color: When painting your walls, stick to rich, earthy tones or neutral hues over bright or overly dramatic colors. Some good options for a cozy space include a gorgeous sage green, organic-inspired terra cotta, or even a nice, soft gray. If you prefer white paint color, consider using a creamier version like ivory or an off-white to soften things up.
- Add texture: Try to incorporate as much texture as possible in your home to make it warm and cozy. A faux fur throw blanket or a woven jute area rug can give the room a subtle touch of added texture. Layer the textures in your home to help make it feel more intimate, inviting, and less “cold.” Look for furniture and light fixtures that blend two or more textures in one, like a wooden chair topped with thick upholstered cushions.
- Add organics: Nature helps create a soothing environment, and you can bring some of this into your home to give it a cozy touch. Bring in a few beautiful houseplants nestled in stylish pots and place them strategically throughout your home. A beautiful basket made of woven seagrass or a glass vase filled with seashells or freshly cut flowers is another way to add some organic appeal to your home.
- Add rugs, pillows, and blankets: Textiles are an easy way to give any room a sense of coziness. Be sure to bring in as many soft textiles as you can, including lots of cushy throw blankets and decorative or floor pillows. Use area rugs to soften your floors and to bring in a touch of color. You can also layer your rugs if you want to give your home even more warmth and texture.
- Seasonal décor: Decorating for the season will give your space a homey look. Each season, from Christmas and Thanksgiving to Easter, add some holiday-themed decoration to your home for a fun, cheerful, and festive touch.
- Warm/soft lighting: Use warm lighting in your home to promote relaxation and sleep. Warmer light helps to reset the body’s natural circadian rhythm and promotes feelings of calm. Switch your bright white bulbs to softer, warmer LED bulbs to give every room a cozy ambiance.
- Reading nook: Pick a spot in your home to design a cozy reading nook. Add a soft cushioned chair and a footstool, and place a bookcase nearby so you can grab your favorite books and enjoy an excellent read. Place a floor lamp next to the chair and read by soft light, or use candles to read your favorite books by candlelight.
- Teatime/coffee station: A warm cup of tea or coffee can make you feel cozy and relaxed. Set up a nice coffee station and fill it with your favorite coffees, bags of tea, and mugs. Having access to this at any time is a great way to wind down and enjoy a relaxing morning or evening at home.
- Put your memories up for display: Familiar sights are just one way to give your home a cozy feel. Hang pictures of your family and friends throughout your home to fill it with fond memories. Whenever you see these memories, it will instantly make you feel more relaxed and at home.
- Use candles, incense, or essential oils: Soft, soothing scents can help to promote a cozy atmosphere. Light a few scented candles or burn some incense to create a calming vibe in your home. Choose essential oils and a diffuser to fill your home with calming fragrance. Scents like chamomile, lavender, and vetiver help soothe your body and mind as you breathe in their relaxing smells.
The comfort-inspired design trend
Using things like color, texture, and fragrance to create a cozy, comforting home has gained popularity in recent years. The Hygge trend is one way to decorate your home and make it a warm, welcoming space. This design trend incorporates soft textures, warm colors, and elements like plants or fire to give every room a relaxing touch. Hygge is a Danish design style, pronounced “hoo-gah,” that encourages you to find joy in the simplest moments. Use this design trend to inspire you, so you can create your own comforting spot that you’ll love to come home to. This style works well in both large spaces and small spaces, so try to see how many different elements you can incorporate into your own home.
Fragrance and scent play an important role
Our ability to smell has an amazing impact on how we feel and see the world around us. Be sure to use fragrance to your advantage if you want to create a cozy atmosphere. Burn some scented candles or look for essential oil blends made to create a calming, soothing space. Don’t forget to use elements like fire in your home, too. Whether you have a nice fireplace or just want to burn some incense, fire can instantly transform any room and make it feel much cozier.
The best tea and coffee blends to achieve coziness
Whether you love tea, coffee, or both, there are certain blends you can try that will help you achieve a feeling of coziness at home. For tea, try a nice chamomile blend that will help you relax and feel calm at the end of the day. Other excellent tea blends made to help you relax include mint, matcha, rose, and lavender. For coffee, try a cup of decaf if you want to drink it before bedtime so you won’t stay awake. You can also enjoy your favorite java mixed with things like cinnamon or honey to add a touch of sweetness and a cozy feeling.
Corners in your home you can transform
Transforming a small nook or corner in your home is an easy way to give your place a touch of coziness. Here are some ideas to help you get started.
- Below a stairway (spandrel stairs): Spandrel stairs have a small cutout directly under the staircase. Use this little corner to create a cozy nook by adding some floor cushions and a small lamp. It’s a great place to read a good book, meditate, or do some journaling in the evening.
- An unused corner: If you have a corner in your home that’s just sitting empty and unused, fill it in with some comfortable furniture and a small rug. Use this corner to create a nice reading nook with a chair and lamp, or set up your coffee and tea station in this area.
- Bedroom: Large bedrooms have space for more furniture so that you can design a cozy and peaceful oasis. Fill a large bedroom with a cushioned chaise lounge chair, a small loveseat, or a comfy club chair. A small coffee table and a soft shag rug will make this empty part of your bedroom feel like your very own relaxing retreat.
- Kitchen: Fill your kitchen with soft textiles using tea towels or kitchen towels. Add trivets to your countertops or take an empty area of your kitchen counters and use it for your coffee and tea station. Use a small buffet table lamp or wall sconces to fill your kitchen with soft, warm lighting.
The benefit of creating cozy spaces and cuddling
Creating some cozy spaces means that you’ll also have cuddling places where you can relax with your family and pets. Make the best of these spaces by enjoying your time together as often as possible. There are many cuddling benefits, including lower blood pressure, reduced stress levels, and feeling closer to the ones you love. Making the best of your time at home will make it feel like home. Don’t forget to add soft cushions, pillows, and blankets to all of your cuddling places to make it as comfy as possible.
Keep these tips in mind so you can create some cozy spaces at home. Whether you design a reading nook or enjoy a new coffee and tea station, it’s important to ensure that your home is a warm and welcoming place. Use your newly designed cozy home to take part in the things you love. From cuddling your pets or family to writing in your journal, there’s no doubt that a cozy home will become your favorite spot to spend your time.