Quality sleep is absolutely crucial for your body’s health and well-being. Getting a good night’s sleep not only improves your mood but also helps the body heal and may even help to prevent certain types of cancer. If you struggle with sleep, there are some incredibly helpful smart sleeping gadgets available to help improve your sleep for better health. When using these apps and gadgets, having a strong, reliable internet connection is vital to ensure they work correctly.
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), more than one in three Americans are sleep deprived. The sleep tech devices market is growing to help with this issue, and it’s projected to grow at a rate of 16.8% by 2030. This guide features a list of 10 smart gadgets that may help you get the sleep you’ve been dreaming of.
Table of Contents
- White noise and sound machines
- Smart mattresses and pillows
- Smart blankets
- Sleep-tracking devices and apps
- Smart light bulbs
- Smart alarm clocks
- Aromatherapy diffusers
- Smart sleeping masks
- Sleep-enhancing headbands
- Smart thermostats
1. White noise and sound machines
These handy sleeping gadgets make a variety of sounds to help you zone out and relax. Many sound machines include a variety of different noises you can play on repeat to help you feel calm while you drift off to sleep.
- These machines help to create a relaxing environment to help you get into a restful frame of mind.
- Sound machines block out unwanted noise, including street sounds, traffic, and other noises that may interfere with your ability to get a good night’s sleep.
- White noise machines are especially helpful for infants and young children. Look for baby soothing machines that can serve as sleep aid for fussy babies and toddlers.
- Studies have shown that consistent exposure to white noise may help to improve sleep quality, reduce ADHD symptoms, and improve productivity by helping to train the brain.
- Smart sound machines feature a variety of different noises ranging from rainfall and thunderstorms to birds and other calming sounds.
- Some models integrate with smart home systems so you can control them with your voice or pair them with smart speakers.
- Many noise machines include a night light or a light that slowly gets brighter in the morning to promote a healthy circadian rhythm when you wake up.
- Choose sound machines that are rechargeable with a USB to save batteries and get portability that’s convenient for travel.
- Put the machine or app in an area where it won’t disrupt your sleep, and make sure you have a solid internet connection for a positive user experience.
- Turn the volume to a level that’s comfortable for you.
- Try to use the white noise machine or app for approximately 30 minutes to one hour before bedtime.
- Avoid using the machine or the app during the day, as it could make it harder to fall asleep at night.
Popular white noise and sound machines
- The Dreamegg D1 Sound Machine features 24 sounds, including seven white noise sounds and a built-in nightlight.
- The Loftie Alarm Clock has a sleek, modern look and includes nature sounds, white noise sounds, custom alarms, and wellness content.
- The SNOOZ Smart White Noise Machine features a real fan inside for non-looping white noise sounds and includes an app-based remote control.
2. Smart mattresses and pillows
Using smart mattresses and pillows can promote a better night’s sleep and improve your sleep habits over time.
- Smart mattresses, pillows, and bedding can help to increase your comfort level by providing additional support and pressure relief. These products are especially helpful if you suffer from neck or back pain or any other form of pain that gets worse when you lie down.
- Many smart mattresses and bedding products can be personalized to your unique needs by adjusting the firmness level, temperature, and other helpful settings to create the perfect sleep environment.
- Strategic bed placement, combined with the use of smart mattresses and pillows, can promote a better night’s sleep and significantly improve your sleep habits over time.
- Some smart pillows help track your sleep quality and provide feedback you can use to improve your position, bedtime, and other habits.
- Snore detection alerts you whenever you start snoring so you can adjust for a night of better and deeper sleep.
- Smart pillows with sleep analysis give insight into how long you sleep, how often you’re in a deep sleep, and other useful details.
- Smart mattresses that monitor your breathing can ensure a better sleep experience.
- Choose a smart mattress with temperature control to help you feel comfortable throughout the night.
- Mattresses with a custom incline and position feature let you adjust your body until you find the perfect position that works for you.
- Additional features like sleep analysis that’s tied to a smartphone app give you more control and insight into your sleep track record and habits.
- Think about your biggest challenges and needs when it comes to sleep. If you have neck or back pain, choose a mattress or pillow with specific support for these areas. If you tend to get hot or cold at night, consider a mattress with temperature control.
- Keep your budget in mind when shopping; many smart mattresses are more expensive than traditional mattresses.
- Read customer reviews to get a clearer picture of the experience others have had with the products. This is also a great way to gauge which items will work best for your needs based on others’ experiences.
- If possible, look for companies that let you try before you buy. Many manufacturers offer a free 30- to 90-day trial period to give you a better idea of whether the product meets your needs and is comfortable for you.
Popular smart mattresses and bedding
- The Motion Pillow 3 uses unique airbag technology that detects snoring and helps stop it to help you get a good night’s sleep.
- The Saatva Solaire smart mattress features adjustable firmness via air chambers to provide customized pressure relief.
- Eight Sleep Pod 3 is a smart foam mattress featuring an active grid layer to collect biometric data, a water-based climate control system, and an external hub that can heat or cool the water as needed.
3. Smart blankets
Similar to smart pillows and mattresses, smart blankets offer a wide range of helpful benefits to promote better sleep.
- Certain smart blankets include dual-zone control so you can adjust the temperature settings on each side of the bed.
- Most smart blankets have a safety feature to ensure peace of mind, including automatic shut-off timers or temperature sensors that prevent overheating and reduce the chance of an accident.
- Many new smart blankets are energy-efficient, so they don’t cost a lot of extra money to use.
- Look for smart blankets with customization options so you can personalize the settings.
- Combine your smart blanket with other bedding, like cooling sheets and smart pillows.
- Make sure the cords and controls of your smart blanket are easy to access when you’re in bed.
- Always clean and maintain your smart blanket per the manufacturer’s instructions. Some models include a removable cover that you can machine wash, while some may be spot-clean only.
Popular smart blankets
- SmartDuvet is a dual zone, climate-controlled, self-bed-making blanket that you can control with a smartphone app to adjust the temperature.
- The BedJet 3 Climate Comfort Sleep System works with your bedding to create the ultimate environment by providing rapid air-based heating and cooling.
4. Sleep-tracking devices and apps
Modern sleep-tracking devices and apps help you keep track of your sleep quality and habits.
- Special sleep-tracking devices and apps use sensors and algorithms to monitor and record your nightly sleep patterns.
- Many devices and apps give you personalized insights and recommendations based on your unique sleep data so you can make meaningful changes as needed.
- Some devices and apps can help you identify possible sleep challenges or disorders like sleep apnea or insomnia. If you notice consistent issues in your sleep data, consult with a healthcare professional to get evaluated and receive the right form of treatment.
Types of sleep-tracking devices and apps
- Smartwatches: Products like the Apple Watch and Fitbit include sleep-tracking software that helps you monitor your quality of sleep and how long you’ve slept.
- Wristbands: The Whoop 4.0 is a sleep-tracking wristband that monitors your recovery and sleep. The Apollo Wearable is designed to help reduce your stress and improve your overall health and focus for a better night’s sleep.
- Apps: SleepSpace is an app that collects sleep data in real time and uses deep sleep stimulation technology. Sleepwave is a popular sleep-tracking app available for Apple and Android and features breakthrough silent sonar technology that turns your phone into a motion sensor. Sleepscore is an app backed by scientific research to help you track sleep duration, the time it takes to fall asleep, and how many hours you were in a deep sleep.
- Some sleep-tracking gadgets and app companies may sell your information or give it away to other companies, so protecting your privacy is something to consider.
- Not all sleep-tracking devices are completely accurate. For example, if you toss and turn, the device or app may assume you’re awake, giving you a lower total time that you were actually asleep.
5. Smart light bulbs
Smart light bulbs provide total control over the amount of light in your home, which may help to improve sleep quality by promoting a healthier circadian rhythm.
- Using a smart bulb can help promote a healthy bedtime routine. For example, set the light bulb to gradually dimmer over a specified amount of time before bedtime to help you feel sleepy and signal your body that it’s time for sleep.
- Smart light bulbs work with home automation systems to help you control the lighting in your bedroom at any time without ever having to get out of bed.
- Many smart light bulbs let you adjust the color temperature and intensity to stimulate natural lighting conditions throughout the day, which helps to regulate your circadian rhythm.
Popular smart lighting products
- Philips SmartSleep Therapy Lamp realistically simulates natural sunrise and sunset cycles to prep your body for bed and help you wake up on time. It also includes light-guided breathing to help you relax, nature sounds, a radio, and many other helpful features.
- Kasa Smart Lights are color-changing smart bulbs that work with Amazon Alexa and Google Home. The bulbs feature 16 million colors and dimmable warm to cool whites to give you the ultimate control over your interior lighting setup.
6. Smart alarm clocks
These smart alarm clocks make it easier to wake up in the morning by working with your body’s natural rhythm and bedtime routine.
- Many new smart alarm clocks include features like gradual wake-up sounds and sunrise simulations to ease you into the day gently.
- Smart clocks can also integrate with your bedtime routine by reminding you to wind down, playing relaxing sounds or music, or automatically adjusting the lighting in your bedroom for a sleep-friendly ambiance.
- Light therapy that slowly brightens or dims during the morning and evening can help you get in sync with your body’s circadian rhythm.
- Sound therapy, like integrated noises or radio features, can help to lull you asleep and keep you asleep all night.
- Choose a smart alarm clock with smartphone integration so you can adjust the settings and change the alarm sounds and time from your smartphone.
Popular smart alarm clocks
- The Hatch Restore sound machine and sunrise alarm clock includes white noise sounds, nature sounds, a sunrise light, and more.
- The Lenovo Smart Clock Essential features a built-in Alexa and a bright LED display with large numbers, auto dim, a smart speaker, temperature display, adjustable brightness, and many other helpful features.
7. Aromatherapy diffusers
Combining aromatherapy with some simple meditation techniques may help you feel more relaxed and sleep better.
- The practice of aromatherapy has been used worldwide for centuries to help encourage relaxation, lower stress levels, improve sleep, and boost mood.
- New aromatherapy diffusers include safe, user-friendly features like auto shutoff, water level sensors, and nontoxic BPA-free materials. Easy-to-clean components and simple, intuitive controls make these devices user-friendly for beginners.
- Certain essential oils like chamomile and lavender are known for their calming and sleep-inducing characteristics.
- Using essential oils can help to freshen the air and reduce unwanted odors in your bedroom and other areas of the home.
Wellness and mindfulness
- Incorporate aromatherapy into your daily routine to improve your stress levels and emotional well-being and enjoy daily self-care.
- Combine aromatherapy with other techniques like meditation to reap even more benefits.
- Always choose safe, high-quality essential oils from a reputable manufacturer when using them in an aromatherapy diffuser, and keep them away from kids and pets.
Practicing wellness and mindfulness is not only great for daily self-care but also gets you a better night’s rest.
Popular aromatherapy diffusers
- The Vitruvi Stone Ceramic Diffuser comes in several soothing colors and features a sleek, modern look. This diffuser works with 100% natural essential oils to create a soothing, calm environment.
- The URPOWER Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser is a powerful, affordable choice with auto shutoff, seven color-changing lights, four timer settings, and six to seven hours of continuous diffusing.
8. Smart sleeping masks
Sleeping masks can promote better sleep, and smart versions provide even more benefits.
- When worn properly, sleeping masks block exterior light, promoting deeper sleep.
- Quality sleeping masks are made of soft, breathable materials that are gentle on the skin and adjustable to fit different head sizes.
- Thanks to their compact size, sleeping masks are portable and travel-friendly.
- Smart sleeping masks with Bluetooth connectivity allow you to connect to your smartphone and listen to music or meditation sounds.
- Built-in sound therapy provides the same benefits as a white noise machine but in a more compact format.
- Some designs include smart alarm features so the mask “wakes you up” at a pre-set time.
Popular smart sleeping masks
- The Manta Sleep Mask includes Bluetooth connectivity, thin headphones, and perforated materials for maximum breathability.
- The RENPHO Eyeris is a sleeping mask and eye massager in one with built-in heating pads and built-in speakers that connect via Bluetooth.
9. Sleep-enhancing headbands
Think of sleep-enhancing headbands as several smart sleeping devices rolled into one for maximum efficiency.
- These high-tech headbands feature brainwave monitoring to track your sleep – including REM sleep – to help you determine when you’re in deep sleep.
- Some models include personalized sleep coaching through companion apps to help you develop healthy sleep habits.
- The data collected from sleep tracking provides you with personal recommendations to help optimize your sleep.
- User comfort may be different from person to person depending on how the headband fits and how bulky it is; individual fit and comfort levels vary.
- Sleep-enhancing headbands range in price, and higher-end, more advanced models may be relatively expensive. Consider the cost versus value of the headband relative to your budget and your personal sleep needs.
Popular sleep-enhancing headbands
- The SleepyBand Cozy Bluetooth Sleeping Band includes Bluetooth connectivity with thin, built-in speakers and a thick, stretchy band for comfort and light-blocking capabilities.
- The Philips SmartSleep Deep Sleep Headband includes a mobile app for sleep tracking, a thick, cushy construction for comfort, and 30 self-adhesive sensors to help monitor brain activity.
10. Smart thermostats
Temperature plays a big role in sleep, and smart thermostats allow you to get more control over the indoor temperature in your home.
- A smart thermostat helps you maintain a comfortable sleep environment via the optimal temperature that works for you. Research shows that temperatures between 60 and 65 degrees Fahrenheit are optimal for deep, restful sleep.
- Most smart thermostats connect through an app so you can control and access your thermostat from anywhere in the home.
- Some smart thermostats connect with other devices like smart mattresses or sleep trackers to give you a better insight into how temperature affects your sleep.
- Smart thermostats can learn your schedule and raise or lower the temperature automatically when you’re away or asleep to help reduce unnecessary energy consumption.
- Many smart thermostats come with an app that provides detailed energy reports and insights to help you get a clearer picture of your energy usage habits. The reports can help you determine how and when you consume the most energy for heating and cooling your home.
- Smart thermostats may use geofencing technology to track your smartphone’s location via GPS to determine when you’re leaving or returning home. Then it adjusts the temperature based on your pre-determined settings.
Popular smart thermostats
- The Google Nest Thermostat learns your habits to help you save on energy and includes smartphone connectivity to build a schedule.
- Ecobee smart thermostats can help you save approximately 26% on heating and cooling costs each year through its advanced occupancy sensing technology, additional room sensors, and smartphone app.